Saturday, October 18, 2014

Like Jewels In A Crown

I bought glitter for you the other day at your request. So that people could throw it on you both after your wedding. Make a wish and sprinkle! What is it you told me you wanted on it? Ah, yes, "Faith, trust and pixie dust - magical wishes for the happy couple." I love it because it combines faith and trust in the Father with your love of Disney and fairy tales ... and with sparkles, of course. I found a beautiful iridescent glitter, called opal, that I think will be perfect. And tiny little Ziplock baggies to keep it in.

For your Daddy and I, it was birdseed. I will never forget after the wedding getting undressed and having birdseed fall all over the hotel room floor. Guessing for you folks it will be glitter all over that floor. I saw a wedding recently where they threw tiny beach balls at the couple. Yes, beach balls. They kept whacking the bride in the head!

But why throw anything at the newlyweds? Where did this tradition come from? Romans threw wheat or grain at brides and grooms to symbolize fertility and prosperity. That morphed into rice in more modern times. But apparently birds were eating the rice and getting sick, thus the switch to birdseed. Now folks more or less believe throwing things at the bride and groom is more for wishing good luck. I've seen weddings where folks throw tiny puff balls, paper airplanes, candy sprinkles, helicopter seeds and even blow bubbles.

You know your Mom is partial to the glitter because I like anything that sparkles. Matter of fact, I remember you once saying you're drawn to anything that glitters like a bug to a zapper. I am the same way. I love sparkly things for two reasons: 1) Heaven and the New Earth are described as sparkly with precious jewels and gold and 2) because I think it's a wonderful description of how we are to "shine like stars in this generation" (Phil 2:15), reflecting Jesus Christ in all His glory.

I don't know that people will be thinking of Jesus necessarily when they throw this glitter on you both, but I hope along with magical wishes, they will uplift a prayer for you - whether for fertility, prosperity ... or just a loving full marriage. I know I will be.

Discussion: What do you hope people will pray for you both as they sprinkle you with fairy dust?

Prayer: How beautiful you are, Lord God, in all your glory. You have made your people to "sparkle like jewels in a crown" (Zachariah 9:16). I pray, Father, we will always sparkle with all the love that is You. Thank you for gifting us with the ability to glow in your glory. Help us to stand out among those near us so that they want to know why we sparkle. In Jesus the King, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment