Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Wedding Prayer

When I was a little girl all the way through college, my friends loved my mother. I mean loved her. I cannot tell you how many people told me that very thing. "I love your Mom. She is so cool." She was certainly that and funny, took in interest in them and loved them deeply because I loved them. When you hear of girls who didn't get along with their mothers or were embarrassed by them growing up, that wasn't me. I loved watching her continuously reach out to the lonely and hurting to lift them up. My mother was one of my best friends. I loved to be with her and at the same time deeply respected her.

Today is my mother's 73rd birthday and she has fully lived those 73 years. She's has gobs of stories to tell you all about it. She believes that God has blessed her to be a blessing. She trusts He will completely care for her and thus cares for His children. She's the one who will hunt for the perfect gift for you, even when there is nothing to celebrate. She is creative, hilarious, animated, adventurous and faithful. And seven trips to the hospital in the last 10 months can't keep her down. Thelma, Timmy Jo, Themla, Sisty Ugler, Mom, Gaga ... so many names to describe my precious mom. A woman who has loved my children exuberantly and helped raise my nephews. It may be my mouth speaking, but it is my mother's words and intonation that often come out. I am proud to have her for my mother and I know she is one of God's favorites.

My mother helped me put together our wedding nearly 28 years ago. She was like our wedding planner. I know I would have never been able to pull it off by myself, especially since I was in my last year of college and preparing to move to Tennessee where my future husband had gotten his first job. Taped to the inside of our Wedding Book of Memories is a card given to us by my mother the day of our wedding. On the front it says, "The Wedding Prayer" and on the inside it says this:
GOD IS LOVE
May you have His kind of love for each other.
LOVE IS PATIENT AND KIND
May you be able to lovingly overlook each other's faults and weaknesses.
LOVE IS NOT JEALOUS OR BOASTFUL
May you seek praise for each other and not for yourselves.
LOVE IS NOT ARROGANT OR RUDE
May you give of yourselves for each other's needs
 and treat one another with utmost respect.
LOVE DOES NOT INSIST ON ITS OWN WAY
May you genuinely listen to each other 
with a willingness to be wrong yourselves.
LOVE IS NOT IRRITABLE OR RESENTFUL
May you be tolerant of each other's moods,
always ready to forgive, never holding a grudge.
LOVE DOES NOT REJOICE AT WRONG
BUT REJOICES IN THE RIGHT
May you experience happiness because
of each other's triumphs and successes.
LOVE BEARS ALL THINGS
May you seek to understand each other's differences
knowing you will stick together through it all.
LOVE BELIEVES ALL THINGS
May you fully trust and support each other in all your endeavors
LOVE HOPES ALL THINGS
May you always expect the best in each situation
LOVE ENDURES ALL THINGS
May you never give up your commitment
to work on improving your relationship
LOVE NEVER ENDS
May you spend the rest of your lives together enjoying His love
GOD IS LOVE

Most of the above comes from 1 Corinthians 13, otherwise known as The Love Chapter of the Bible. Rob and Ayla have selected 1 Corinthians 13 as one of their Scripture readings at their wedding. What is interesting about that is Ayla vowed she would never have the Love Chapter as part of the wedding because it was so over used. However, at a recent worship service, the pastor focused on this passage and Ayla was sold. How precious to note that it was highlighted in my Mom's card to us.

Love is the key, the center, of every marriage. And it's a tall order, as you read above. And it's not just a marriage Scripture but rather the way God intends for us to treat everyone. You will fail in many aspects of that as you go through life, but we pray you never cease to aim for it and forever try to emulate it... I know my mother has. Wishing her a birthday filled with as much joy as she exudes. Happy Birthday, Mom!

Discussion: Share a Gaga/Thelma story. Which aspect of 1 Corinthians 13 is the hardest for you?

Prayer: Father, we glorify your name and praise you forever! Thank you for the life of Thelma Jo Haas Lauritzen. We ask for your healing hand to be on her to keep her healthy and for you to bless her day and year. And may we all strive to love as you love us. In Christ's name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment