Monday, November 17, 2014

The One

As you well know, I love to watch wedding dress shows. I watch "Say Yes to the Dress," "Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta," "Something Borrowed/Something New" and "I Found the Gown." I just love watching when these girls find the dress of their dreams. And I'm getting pretty good at predicting results now. The ones who are celebrities or models will often times get simple lace dresses since they've been all blinged out previously. Spoiled princesses will get the most outlandish and expensive dress there is, even if she doesn't necessarily look the best in it. Girls who want to look sexy, will get the see-through corset gowns. And girls on the fence about a gown, will be sold once that veil is on their head. But one thing that is common for all of them is that unbelievably satisfied look they have on their faces when they've found the perfect one. Giddy, joyful and oftentimes, there are tears flowing by not just the bride but also the entourage shopping with her.

I've told your Daddy one of the reasons I love to watch these shows is because it's the day girls want to look their most beautiful for the person they love most of all. I like to think of it as presenting yourself to Christ in your most perfect way, righteous and holy.

The dress I bought, I believe, was one of the first three I tried on. I knew immediately it was the one. Puffy sleeves, poofy skirt, I was sold. Princess Jill was ready for her Prince Charming (aka Brad). I will never forget the face of my Aunt Carol on my wedding day when she saw me for the first time. She snuck in the back room to get a peek before I walked down the aisle and immediately started to cry, saying, "You look beautiful." And I felt that way. To see her reaction confirmed, what I was feeling inside. I was ready to walk down that aisle to my beloved Brad.

We wondered what the process would be like with Ayla dress hunting. I think everyone had an idea of what Ayla would want or what we wanted to see her in. Ayla knew generally what she was looking for. She tried on dress after dress, dissatisfied with one thing or another: price, fit, color, style. The place where we found her dress was an afterthought, honestly. We didn't expect to find anything there because of a time crunch. But when she put on that dress, it was as if the clouds parted, the sun's rays shined right down on her and angels sang. I could see it in her face. She was done. This was the one. And she said with sweet joy, "I'm going to marry Rob Goggin in this dress." You could tell she felt beautiful, elegant, herself.

It's bought and paid for now as of Saturday. All that's left is alterations as you get closer to the date next fall. I was interested in your reaction after seeing your ordered dress when it arrived. Your text: "It is stunning. I am so excited." That was all the confirmation I needed to hear.

My baby girl is getting married in 333 days. And she's wearing a beautiful dress on that day, a dress paid for in part thanks to your extended Pittsburgh family via financial gifts from your recent party. How sweet to know that you will be wrapped in the love of your family as you walk down that aisle to your beloved. It is as if we are presenting you, gifting you, to Rob. You are going to feel and look amazing. Remember when I said the brides on the wedding dress reality shows have that look of unbelievable satisfaction on their face when they've found "the one?" Ayla had it when she found her dress, and we pretty much expect the same look Oct. 16, 2015 when she marries "the one" before The One. Giddy, joyful and tears flowing.

Discussion: When did you both realize your fiance was "the one." What do you feel when you are in the bridal gown you've selected? Is it important to you that the groom not see the dress until the wedding day?

Prayer: Father, we thank you for "the one" you've selected just for us. We pray you will be glorified in the day. May we be as excited to present ourselves righteous and holy to you with as much joy as brides present themselves to the groom. In Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment