Monday, June 8, 2015

MOBs and MOGs

This one is for Irene, Marie, Lauri and myself. We are the MOBs and MOGs of these weddings (mother-of-the-bride or mother of the groom). And it's a chance for us to look good! To be classy, sparkle, glow and walk the red carpet so to speak. Yes, yes, of course it's about the bride and groom, but those brides and grooms wouldn't be there if it wasn't for us, so we want to certainly look amazing on the day of our children's weddings.

So what are the rules? What can the MOBs and MOGs wear? Well, according to the sales lady at the Prattville's Bridal Boutique and Tux Shoppe, the mother of the bride is to wear a complimentary color to the bridal party. However, it should not be the same color as the bridesmaids (tricky for Ayla's wedding since every color of the sunset is represented from yellow to watermelon). And according to all my friends who've recently had son's get married, the mother of the groom is to "wear taupe and shut up" (yes, that's just how they said it). Now I don't know how hard and fast those rules are, but it seems to be pretty accurate as to what moms are wearing.

It is important to take note of the length the bride wants you to wear and the season of the wedding. With Ayla's in October and Anton's in June of next year, hot is the key word, so comfortable will be a necessity. Location is also important to consider. Ayla's wedding will be at a marina with a beach theme and Anton's is in a church, so that sets the tone for both ceremonies.

So what not to wear? I read that MOBs and MOGs need to avoid white, beige or ivory, so to not compete with the bride (my mom, while gorgeous, wore ivory. Sigh). Red and black are likewise discouraged for being too flashy or funeral-like respectively. A shade that compliments the bridal party works well for moms. Typically the MOG waits to see what the MOB gets and then selects, so she doesn't compete with her, although even that is a loose rule. A lady at a consignment shop here said she picked her dress before the mother of the bride did and turned out they both wore the same color ... but it was complimentary nonetheless and no one seemed to mind.

It seemed that when I first searched for mom dresses online they were quite frumpy, or even grandmothery looking. But there are also many glamorous dresses, which too, need to be carefully monitored since many can be way blinged out. Thankfully, my dear friend, Connie is letting me borrow a taupe dress she wore for her son Matthew's wedding. It is one of the most gorgeous dresses I have ever seen. And I was shocked it fit me. Originally I planned on wearing it for Ayla's wedding, but after learning about the MOG "wear taupe and shut up" rule, I thought maybe I should save it for Anton and Kayla's wedding. So it's back to hunting.

So I have one dress, but have one more to go. I know Lauri and Marie are waiting to hear what I pick, so I need to get a move on. I've looked at department stores, formal wear retailers and online, but not found what I'm looking for yet. So I'm resorting to prayer. If all else fails, I can wear Connie's to Ayla and Rob's wedding and therefore have another year to find one to Anton's and Kayla's. Either way, it sure is fun to look!

Discussion: Brides, what would you like to see the moms in? What don't you want to see them in? What do you think of the above MOB and MOG rules?

Prayer: Father, the finery is icing on the cake, but we are excited to be present at the vows of our children. We pray, Father, we all find affordable, lovely dresses to wear. We love our children, Father, and thank you for them. In Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment