Friday, June 19, 2015

The Dollar Dance

 It's called The Dollar Dance. In some cultures, it's expected. In others, they've never heard of it. In still others, it's considered an inappropriate request for money from guests who've already given a gift or, in some cases, driven far distances to come to the wedding. What it actually is a last minute opportunity for guests to dance and say good-bye to the bride and groom. As their last dance, they will dance with anyone ... for a dollar. Each person has about a minute or so with the bride and groom to say their good-byes before the groom whisks the bride off her feet and out of the reception. What it does guarantee is the guest will get some one-on-one time with the bride and/or groom before they leave. In some cultures, the guest gives a dollar to the maid-of-honor or best man who then hands the guest a shot to drink before they dance with the bride or groom. In other cultures, dollar bills are thrown at the bride and groom on the dance floor as they dance together just themselves. In others, the bills are pinned to the bride or groom as they dance. So you can see there are different twists. What is interesting is I read it actually started in the 1900s in Poland, so it's in the Zimanek nationality history.

Brad and I had a money dance. It's very cultural in Pittsburgh where we married. My mother made a beautiful satin and lace apron which my sister wore as she collected the dollars in a deep pocket in the front. I personally loved the dance because it gave me a chance to cherish moments with people I might not otherwise have had. While exhausted by this time of the night, it was a wonderful uplifting moment before saying good-bye to folks, some of which I never saw again (we had moved to Tennessee after this). We didn't do the shots. Just the dancing. Lots of tears were shed that I recall, especially when I danced with my Mom who I had been living with for the five previous months. I knew how much I would miss her.

One of my favorite Dollar Dances I've ever participated in was actually at my sister's wedding. My brother was dancing with Aunt Jodi and I was so touched by watching them dance, I cut in with them. After a few minutes of just the three of us dancing, our parents and then husbands joined us. Here we all were as a family dancing at the end of the reception to Celine Dion's "The Power of Love." I remember weeping a lot during that dance and I think about that precious moment every time I hear that song.

So I think it is up to the couple as to whether or not you want to do a Dollar Dance. I think Brad and I were gifted with over $200 during our dance (I think a few folks paid more than $1 to dance with us) which was really helpful on our honeymoon. It was completely optional for anyone who wanted to dance with us. Fun and emotional at the same time. We just wanted to make you aware of it to decide if you want to include it. The apron is ready if you do.

Discussion: What are your thoughts on a Dollar Dance? What songs would you want playing during such a dance? Have you ever seen a Dollar Dance at a reception before?

Prayer: Father God, we thank you for sweet memories and precious traditions. Lord, we pray whether or not there is a dance to say good-bye that our sweet couples will have time to cherish good-byes with their guests. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment