Sunday, January 25, 2015

A Couple That Prays Together, Stays Together

My mother gave me a booklet by Norman Vincent Peale - one of my favorite authors and servants of the Lord - called "Help Yourself With God's Help" printed in 1976. [A side note: my mother is good friends with Norman's daughter, Maggie]. There are various bits of information throughout the booklet about 14 different "problems," advice of which is on the front and back of one page each. One such problem is "How To Have a Successful Marriage." Peale gives several bits of marriage advice, many of which we've already discussed, but one in particular stood out to me. It said this under #9:

"NIGHT: Pray together before going to sleep every night. Pray together about all decisions and about all problems. The couple who prays together will grow together and stick together and win victories together."

Amen to that. I  know when you first started dating, you did that very thing. You called each other long distance to pray before you went to bed. I love that. I do not know if you continue to do that, but I sure hope so. Peale is right. Couples who pray together to end the day have given it and everything in their lives over to the One who controls it all. Matter of face, it doesn't hurt to begin the day with prayer as well. Showing you are a team, serving the one true God, counting on Him to care for you needs and solve your problems, praying together is a beautiful unifying ritual that I think every married couple should do. Matthew 18:19-20 says: "Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst." To be in the presence of Christ and know based on His word that anything you ask together will be done for you, is pretty reassuring. Now that doesn't mean he will answer your prayer as you wish, but He will definitely answer it.

Your Daddy and I pray together as often as we can, but I would like to make it a more regular occurrence, even when we are apart from one another, that we might connect with each other and with our Father ... so we can continue to grow, stick and win victories together.

Discussion: Do you pray to start or end you day together?  Is it important that this is a regular occurrence for you as a couple? Do you notice a difference in your relationship when you pray together?

Prayer: Almighty Father, thank you for prayer and Jesus' guidance on it. Lord, I pray we as a couple will realize the value in prayer together and do so daily. Bless our efforts to do so. In Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment