Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Munificent

Today your Grandpa Lauritzen is 75 years old. Three-quarters of a century! What a reason to celebrate! And we will! He has lived a long and eventful life, filled with crazy experiences (from a bit-off tongue to a frozen esophagus). He is witty, generous, logical (almost to a Spock standpoint), a perfectionist, can repair just about anything and out eat just about any human being while maintaining his slender build. When he laughs, he does so heartily. When he is concentrating on something, I dare you to break it. He's a sesquipedalian so when he speaks, keep a dictionary nearby so you can look up the big words. When he drives, he takes chances no one else would dare and somehow comes out unscathed. He loves his Lord passionately and never ceases to study the Word. He seeks mission opportunities that utilize his many skills. He has his Tom-isms, like "Expect the best and prepare for the worst," and "Who ever said life's fair?" And he gives the best hugs ever ... ask anyone.

That is your grandpa. Oh there is so much more to him, but if there is anything I would want you as a couple to take from him it would be his selflessness and generosity. I don't know where he learned both, but if I had to guess it was probably his maternal grandfather. He speaks of his Grandpa Holmes with much respect. I believe this man had the greatest influence on your grandpa, and I look forward to meeting him one day in Paradise. Regardless, your grandfather will certainly put your needs and wants before his own. It is something to emulate. One of my favorite stories to share about him is his love of Snicker bars, but not so much the love of them as the sharing of them. I remember many times seeing that candy bar sitting before him, my mouth watering, and him saying before taking a bite to help myself. Were I in the same position, I am just not sure I could be so generous with chocolate. It spoke volumes to me. I think, like him, we need to look at what we have as never really being ours in the first place, but rather the Lord's, and therefore share it. That doesn't just mean things or money, but even our talents. What is ours is ours to give and share.

Your grandfather is also a poet. I found this in a treasure box of mine. He wrote it to/for me Aug. 21, 1979. It says: 

A Prayer For Daughter
Thanks, Lord, for being with me yesterday
As my daughter did sincerely pray
My daughter understands, I guess
That prayers are always answered; blest,
What's really important to me however,
Is that my daughter knows forever
You will be constantly at her side
If only You she will let abide
I pray her happiness, unending;
Peace and joy beyond comprehending.
But, most of all, Lord, I pray she'll love.
We know tis the best gift from above!
Go faith, hope and love, these three her way
I pray ... and, Lord, mostly love, always.
                                                     Amen. 

 We pray this for you both as well. Happy Birthday, Dad.

Discussion: Do you have specific memories of your Grandpa? What are some traits above you see in yourself? How can you be generous with what you have?

Prayer: Father, thank you for the life and health of Thomas Phillip Lauritzen. Thank you for his example, wisdom and love. We pray for blessings for him on this his birthday. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment