Wednesday, April 29, 2015

One And Only

A hug the night before our wedding.
Right before Jadoosh left to head back to Iowa he asked me this, "Jill, am I your favorite father-in-law?" To which I responded as I always do, "Of course you are, you're my only father-in-law." We giggle. But this time I added one more bit, "You'll be the only father-in-law I will ever have." To use a hunting metaphor with reference to Brad, "I've bagged my limit." To use a fishing metaphor, "I'm not throwing this catch back."

Daddy is my one-and-only. My beloved. He was my true love when I was 18 and he's my true love 32 years later. Neither of us have any desire to trade in for a newer model. The love we had all those years ago has intensified. It is greater, deeper, richer and much more powerful. Is it easy? Nope (or we wouldn't be writing this blog). It's work. We are constantly looking for ways to be better for each other. But it's worth it. You know when I notice most how neatly and spiritually we fit? When we hug. It's like the world melts away and we melt into each other. It's peace and comfort squished together. I sigh just thinking about those hugs.

God has given you your one-and-only. And this is something you must remember throughout your marriage. You need to cherish and work at it. It is our prayer that we will be the only mother-in-law and father-in-law Rob and Kayla ever have ... and your favorite.

Discussion: What do you think it takes for love to be greater, deeper, richer and more powerful? What feelings do you have when you hug?

Prayer: Lord, we thank you for finding us our one-and-only. Give us the determination to be faithful, encouraging and loving to one another throughout our lifetime together. We love you and thank you for your example in Jesus. In His name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment