Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Pressure Washing

The other day I finally tried out my pressure washer. I got it for next to nothing at TJMaxx around Christmas and was excited to try it out on the driveway or sidewalk. Thought I would try it out on the walkway to the side door first. It worked. Through the direct intense pressure of the water, the dark stains on the cement walkway lifted and washed away. But let me tell you something, the nozzle is very narrow, so the area cleaned in one pass was maybe a half inch in diameter. Imagine going back and forth over every single half inch of a walkway to clean it. It took forever to do it. It looked fabulous, but I wondered if I would ever use it to do the entire driveway or sidewalk. It wasn't until after I finished that I discovered the washer came with a second nozzle with a wider spray. Sigh.

While using the pressure washer I thought of myself as a sinner in God's eyes and how often He uses various circumstances in my life to blast away the sin. Things will happen to force me to take a good look at myself, my behavior and choices. If they are not in line with what Scripture recommends, it's time for a good cleaning. But like the pressure washer, it's tackles just a bit at a time. Made me really grateful for Jesus. In one swoop, He made me whiter than snow. Does that mean God won't utilize a little pressure to get us to take notice of particular sin in our life? No, He most certainly will. He wants us to make good choices and grow ever closer in imitating our Lord. Sometimes it takes a bit of pressure to make that change.

In Deuteronomy 8:3 Moses tells the Israelites, "So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the LORD." In 2 Corinthians 2, Paul talks about a "thorn" in his flesh to keep him from becoming conceited.

This used a lot as an example, but look at the diamond. Once a lump of coal, after years of pressure, it's become the hardest substance on earth and when faceted, is breathtakingly beautiful. I think that is what God wants of us.

So when you undergo circumstances in your marriage and life that may not seem fair, or life throws various trials at you, take stock of the situation and truly examine first what might need to change in your life. The circumstance may have nothing at all to do with you, but then again, it might. So go in prayer to the Father and ask for wisdom. James 1:5 "If any of you is lacking in wisdom, ask God, who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly, and it will be given you." He will give you clarity. There are many trials ahead, but in the words of James 1:2-4 "Whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing." And hang in there. If a diamond is the end result, you will be breathtakingly beautiful.

Discussion: Tell about a trial or circumstance you faced that made you a better person?

Prayer: Father, we don't welcome trials in our life, but know they make us better. When they come, we pray you give us discernment and strength. May we through them become mature and complete. We love you. In Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment