Thursday, December 18, 2014

Be It Unto Me

Last Sunday after worship I asked a gal who is graduating from college this month what she was planning to do next. She said she had several options and added: "Just like your husband preached about today, I'm giving it to God and waiting to see where He leads."

How wonderful to have the confidence in God that He is in control. I heard it in Ayla's voice yesterday when she commented that her car was making strange noises. She said, "Please pray my car holds on. After this wisdom teeth surgery I have little money to my name right now. Just taking it day by day and hoping the car makes it. God has this." She knew God was in control.

This Christmas season we can look at Joseph and Mary and see their confidence that God had everything firmly in His hands, as my friend Rhona reminded me yesterday. Mary saying, "Be it unto me according to Your word, O Lord" (Luke 1:38) when the angel told her she will give birth to the Son of the Most High. Joseph taking a pregnant woman as his wife after a visit from the angel of the Lord in his dream. Both fleeing to Egypt after a warning in another dream. God had it in control, and they were obedient to Him.

That is our advice to you this day: that you remember who is in control and walk in obedience to His direction. The Father knows what will happen today and what will happen in the future. He knows the path you need to take to grow ever closer like and to Him. He knows what challenges are ahead. He knows your joys. He's got it all. Job 12:10 says: "In His hand is the life of every living thing and the breath of all mankind." In Proverbs 16:9 it says, "The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps." Ephesians 1:11 says, "In Him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will." Isaiah 14:24 says, "The Lord of hosts has sworn: “As I have planned, so shall it be, and as I have purposed, so shall it stand." 

Twila Paris sings in one of my favorite songs "God Is In Control:"

This is no time for fear
This is the time for faith and determination
Don't lose the vision here carried away by the motion
Hold on to all that you hide in your heart
There is one thing that has always been true
It holds the world together
God is in control

Knowing that God has it all in His control as part of His plan is comforting, so going to Him in prayer to ask for guidance and then acting in obedience to it is essential and, frankly, wise.

Every major decision we've had to make as a couple we went to God about. Every job change, every move, tragic circumstances, major purchases ... we wanted to make sure we were acting in obedience and following His plan for our lives. He hasn't failed us yet and promises us He will not.

Jeremiah 29:11 is a verse commonly found on graduation cards. It says, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope," but it's Jeremiah 29:12-13 that completes the statement: "Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Want to know what God has planned? Ask Him. He will show the way. Scripture tells us in Isaiah 30:21 "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'” So don't forget to ask, listen ... and obey. Then be amazed and give Him the glory. As it says in Exodus 9:16, "But for this purpose I have raised you up, to show you my power, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth." 

Discussion:
Share a time when you heard an answer to prayer about what you should do next in your life. Are there questions you have now for your future? How has God amazed you in guiding your life?

Prayer: Father, we are so thankful You have our lives in Your hands. Help us, Father, listen closely to Your direction and follow Your will. We pray we wiill glorify Your name in this journey of life. In Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment