Monday, December 15, 2014

No Missed Opportunities

Yesterday after worship we were taking with my friend Danny on our way home. He lost his wife years ago to cancer. We asked him how long they had been together when she went to be with Jesus, and he said, two months shy of 20 years. They were college sweethearts. "She was my everything, and when she died, she didn't even know it. And that kills me," he said.

To know that his wife didn't know how much she meant to Danny makes me sad. It just means we sometimes miss opportunities to let the one we love the most know how much we love and count on them.

Your Daddy asks me to marry him just about every day. Not exactly sure when he started doing that, but the day he stops will break my heart. We have a choice in how we are going to love someone and to know that he still would want to marry me today just as he did when he proposed more than 27 years ago is reassuring and thrilling. I keep a Twinkie man note he wrote me years ago always in my purse as a reminder of that love. Writing each other little notes, flowers for no reason, a bag of chocolates, a cup of coffee, a back rub and repeatedly saying "I love you," are all ways to make sure your loved one knows their value to your life. This is something you should never ever stop doing. It's that important. Don't ever automatically assume just cause you're taking care of things at home or bringing home the bacon, that your loved will will just know how you feel about him/her. Tell them.

You don't ever what to say you missed your chance.

Discussion: What are ways you show your love to one another? Tell of some times when hearing you were loved brought you peace and joy.

Prayer: Father, we know how much You love us. You showed that through Your Son. You show it through the blessings we receive daily from You. Help us to take that cue and likewise show how much we love each other through our words and actions. In Christ we pray, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment