Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Uniquely God's


I wept a few times yesterday. I was putting together a binder of the wedding ceremony for your Daddy. While reading through the vows, exchanging of the rings, declaration of marriage and introduction of the newlyweds, I kept wiping away tears. I could hear my daughter and her fiance reciting the words and kept getting choked up. But that didn't get me nearly as much as a decision Ayla made. I asked her what she wanted to walk down the aisle to, and she said she was thinking about using a segment of the song "Your Hands Are Cold" from Pride & Prejudice by Dario Marianelli. This is one of my favorite songs of all time. To me it is the perfect blend of piano and violin in a breathtaking crescendo that is euphoric. Plus, cinematically, Darcy is walking through the fog in the wee hours of the morning to the woman who bewitched him body and soul. Ahhh, so romantic. The same piece of music is used earlier in the film when Elizabeth stands precariously on the edge of a jutting rock over a cliff in the Peak District of the United Kingdom, the wind blowing through her hair and whipping back her coat as she thinks about Darcy. But to top that all off, that portion of the song has been the ringtone on my cellphone for Ayla for the last three years. When that song plays, I think of my daughter. So to hear that is what she wants to walk down the aisle to her beloved got me all teary eyed again. How will I ever get through this service?

Special touching moments like this make your wedding ceremony yours. While the service itself is about worship of the Almighty and professing sacred vows before him, adding individual touches unique to the couple make it even more distinct and personal. Themes, colors, decorations and music mold the worship service into a microcosm example of what each couple is as a God-selected team, made up of two gifted, talented, crafted souls.

I am so looking forward to celebrating this wedding day with my daughter and future son-in-law in just 16 days. And looking forward to celebrating an equally unique celebration with Anton and Kayla next June. I am proud of these couples and what they are selecting to do in their ceremonies and receptions. But mostly grateful that though they are each very different personalities, each are created in God's image and will be glorifying Him in every aspect of their marriage celebrations. Praising Him for Who He is and thanking Him for what He has made ... especially the musical talent of Marianelli and a song that has multiple, precious meanings for us and now yet a new one to come on this most important of days.

Discussion: What are some unique aspects of your wedding that are representative of you as individuals and as a couple? How do those moments glorify the Lord?

Prayer: Lord God, you are so amazing and we proclaim your name and lift our holy hands in praise to you. Thank you for the uniqueness in each of us. We pray we reflect your character as we go about our daily lives. And we pray the personal touches of our weddings, reflect you as well. In Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment